082513 from First Baptist Church Ferris on Vimeo.
Why should the church practice Biblical Church Discipline?
We exist for the _____________________ of God. We do this by being the ________________ and _____________________ of the world. (Matt 5:13-16)
What Biblical Church Discipline is not:
1. __________________________: A desire to get back-at
2. __________________________: Holier-than-thou saints judging unholy sinners
3. __________________________: Revoking a person’s salvation
What Biblical Church Discipline is:
1. ________________________: A desire to get back in right relationship
2. ________________________: Saved sinners humbly, lovingly restoring an erring brother or sister.
3. ________________________: Removing our endorsement of a person’s salvation
Essential qualities: _______________________, __________________, _________.
(Matt. 7:1-5, Eph. 4:1-3)
Two types of Biblical Church Discipline:
1. ______________________: Occurs whenever truth is read, spoken, taught or preached. Most biblical church discipline falls under this category. (2 Tim 3:16-17 )
2. ______________________: Occurs whenever sin is identified and cannot or should not be ignored (Matt. 18:15-17)
A. First, the _______________________ offended is to approach the offender as long as this does not put him/her at risk of further harm or injury. (v. 15)
If the offender does not repent….
B. The individual offended takes two or three _____________________ who observed the offense or the hurt caused by the offense. (v. 16)
If the offender still does not repent….
C. The individual offended takes the matter to the ____________________ of the church. (v. 17)
If the offender still does not repent…
D. The members of the church treat the offender as ______________________ and remove him/her from the fellowship. (v. 17)
If/when the offender does repent...
E. We are to ______________________ him/her back into the fellowship fully and rejoice that we have won our brother/sister back! (2 Cor 2:6)
Remember, the key is ______________________________, not perfection; _________________________, not revenge.